As the owner of an accounting firm, you bear a large amount of responsibility. Between the hectic tax season and keeping employees in line, it may be hard to manage the risks of the workplace each and every day. Fortunately, our agents at Mitchell and Mitchell Insurance Agency are here with the proper protection for the worst case scenario.
While liability insurance is great to have in place, it is still important to minimize the liability risks in the workplace to keep from having to file a claim on your insurance. This week, let us point out a few tips that may help reduce the likelihood of a discrimination or harassment claim…
- Be clear when communicating that discrimination will not be tolerated. Create a “Zero-Tolerance” Policy which includes disciplinary actions.
- Train managers in your firm how to identify and respond to harassment in the workplace.
- Always ask the right questions, especially during interviews. You wouldn’t want a discrimination suit coming your way if you ask the wrong questions.
- Understand how and when you can discharge/lay off employees without it being discriminating/wrong.
- Monitor the workplace as best as possible. It is important to establish a solid presence in the office to keep employees in line.
These tips may help minimize employer liability. However, in the event that you do face an issue, it is important that you immediately investigate and resolve all complaints of discrimination made by employees.
For more information on how to deal with liabilities and risks in the workplace, please contact our friendly agents at Mitchell and Mitchell Insurance Agency. We can provide you with advice and a free liability insurance quote.